It is said that the eyes are the windows to one’s soul, a gateway for us to connect with the others. Looking at how drastically different one can look by simply whisking on some mascara or putting on some colored contacts, there is no doubt the eye can make a huge difference to the way you look. It is bad enough that such an important feature is the first to show signs of aging, lack of sleep, stress, etc. In this entry, lets take a look at how we can better care for the skin around your eyes and reduce that dependence on “industrial-strength” concealer.
It is known that our skin tends to lose its elasticity as we age, as it is also known that the skin area around our eyes are much more delicate and sensitive since it is the thinnest compared to all the other areas of our body. This explains why it tends to develop wrinkles, dark circles and other signs of stress more easily. In addition, the lack of sebaceous glands also makes it easier for wrinkles to develop. Facial movements and expressions such as smiling and frowning cause the formation of wrinkles and lines too.
The skin area around our eyes can also become saggy due to crying, excessive rubbing and tugging, removal of eye makeup and the continuous insertion and removal of contact lenses. At the same time, puffiness of the eyes may result due to internal dehydration, overconsumption of a large intake of salty food or in some cases, an allergy condition.
- Your skin needs to be well hydrated to maintain its elasticity.
2. Quit Smoking
- Smoking causes a breakdown of collagen which leads to your skin losing its elasticity.
- It has been shown that UV rays are responsible for up to 80% of aging.
4. Reduce facial expressions
- Wear sunglasses whenever you are in the sun to avoid squinting
- Look at yourself in the mirror and try to avoid expressions which creates creasing around the eye area
- Having sufficient sleep prevents blood from clotting around the eye causing dark circles
6. Avoid Alcohol
- Alcohol dehydrates your body
7. Use the right make up remover
- When using heavy eye make up, use oil based remover to prevent excessive rubbing and stress around your eye area
8. Eye Care Regime
- Use specific skin care products for the eyes as they contain specific ingredients to counter eye problems
- Go to a professional to have regular Eye Treatments to help alleviate and prevent eye problems
Start young, and preserve your youthful looking eyes before its too late. 🙂