Having dry lips in this blazing hot weather? Here’s 3 easy peasy steps to keep your lips looking well-hydrated for a pretty, kissable pout!
1. Exfoliate the skin on your lips – With a pinch of sugar in the palm of your hand, drop a few droplets of water on the sugar and mix. Next, use your index finger to scoop the mixture and gently exfoliate your lips in small circular motions. Use warm water to rinse off after. Alternatively, you may dip a clean face towel or wash cloth into a cup of warm water and place it over your lips for 30 seconds to soften the skin, before using the bristles of your toothbrush in small circular motions to remove the dead skin.
2. Apply lipbalm or Vaseline – Now that your lips look and feel much smoother, it is time to protect your lips by applying a moisturing lip balm or with Vaseline. These helps to moisturise your lips, prolonging the effects of having dry, chapped lips. Additionally, for those with SPF protection, the lip balm helps to prevent sun damage.
3. Apply lip gloss – Apply a lip gloss shade that looks good on your face. The shiny appearance of the lip gloss helps to enhance the appearance of your lips, while giving you the perfect look with kissable lips!
However, do remember that if you want to have nice, pretty lips, you should abstain from doing the following:
1. Never touch your lips, or peel the dry skin on your lips with your dirty fingers – bacteria is easily transferable and can enter the tiny cracks on the lips.
2. Never lick your lips – while it may feel good on your lips to sooth the dry, cracked skin, this act supposedly makes your problem much worse as enzymes that help to clean your mouth and digest food are too harsh for your lips. Furthermore, saliva evaporates quickly, and this actually makes your lips drier than before.
What you can do to help yourself, is to drink lots of water to keep your skin hydrated as the reason why dry lips are cracked or scaly is due to dehydration.
Now pucker up and have a great weekend ahead everybody!