Many people are either unfamiliar with or have little knowledge of what Hyaluronic Acid does. Also known as Hyaluronan, it is one of the most popular ingredients used in anti-aging skincare treatments.
Hyaluronic Acid is a natural substance found in our body tissues. Not only does it retain moisture in the cells, it also helps with delivering nutrients and removal of cellular waste materials.
For example, it can be found in our cartilage, a type of connective tissue in our bodies.
Hyaluronic Acid is also a key component of the skin’s extracellular matrix (the fluid-filled space in between cells). Thus, it seals in moisture to keep our collagen and elastin moist. However, like many other important substances in the body, Hyaluronic Acid levels decrease as we age. This affects our skin’s ability to retain moisture, eventually resulting in wrinkles.
Fun fact! Hyaluronic Acid can also be used to help improve muscle strength, bone density and treat eye disorders.
Here’s a summary of the benefits of Hyaluronic Acid:
– Keeps skin young and wrinkle-free by retaining moisture in the cells.
– Prevents collagen loss, thus maintaining skin elasticity
– Aids in tissue regeneration and reparation abilities
– Gives the skin its desired shape and volume by providing support to body tissues
– Keeps the skin smooth and supple
– Helps to fight inflammation and skin irritations
– Promotes healing
– Increases the body’s immunity by ensuring proper levels of white blood cells
– Acts as a lubricant and cushion for the joints