We’ve mentioned (and you’ve heard) many times that getting sufficient hours of sleep, is part of the key to having good and glowing skin. The problem is, how do we even get a good night’s sleep in the first place? With the workload piling up, bills to settle, relationship/friendship issues, plus a bunch of other insignificant matters (that aren’t supposed to bother you, but somehow they still do), falling asleep or getting a good night’s sleep is really as difficult as it can get.
How about some food that can help you relax tensed muscles, quiet your busy & troubled mind and keep your sleep-inducing hormones flowing in?
1. Chamomile Tea: It has a mild sedating effect, making it great for restless minds and bodies. I absolutely love the sound of that.
2. Warm Milk: Remember how your mum used to make you a warm glass of milk whenever you couldn’t sleep, as a child? It’s not a myth; it actually works! Similar to chamomile tea, milk also has a sedative-like effect.
3. Oatmeal: Oats are rich in sleep-inducing melatonin, and helps you sleep like a baby.
4. Almonds: Contains muscle-relaxing magnesium. Perfect for tensed muscles and moods.
5. Banana: We call this a sleeping peel. It contains melatonin and serotonin which send you snoozing and also contains the muscle-relaxing magnesium. Your good night’s sleep is just a banana away.
Though the above foods have sedative effects and help you relax your muscles, the desired effects will not be achieved if you:
1. Opt for a late night after-meal coffee: Zero sympathies if you complain about insomnia after the consumption of a cuppa caffeine-rich coffee.
What you should do: Do not drink coffee 3-4 hours before you go to bed. The stimulant effect of caffeine takes that amount of time to peak.
2. Dig into a huge portion of supper: It interferes with your sleep as your body is busy digesting. This could potentially cause heartburn or indigestion.
What you should do: Try to eat at least 3 hours before going to bed.
Bear these tips in mind and you’re a few steps closer to a goodnight’s sleep. GOOD LUCK 😀